Alto’s Odyssey is an endless sandboarding journey set against a gorgeous and ever-changing desert landscape. As a followup to the critically acclaimed endless snowboarder Alto’s Adventure, Alto’s Odyssey is designed to be enjoyed by returning players and newcomers alike as a standalone experience all its own.
The game features Alto series hallmarks like fluid physics-based movement, procedurally generated terrain, and dynamic lighting and weather effects. This time around, players will soar above windswept dunes, traverse thrilling canyons, and explore long-hidden temple cities in a fantastical place far from Alto’s home village. Along the way, you’ll grind across vines, bounce atop hot air balloons, ride towering rock walls, and escape mischievous lemurs – all while uncovering the desert’s many mysteries.
The collaboration began in 2012 when Snowman co-founders Ryan Cash and Jordan Rosenberg enlisted Land & Sea's Harry Nesbitt to craft the art for a game concept they were working on: a serene 2D endless snowboarder based on the feeling of being at peace in nature. That game would become Alto’s Adventure and during its creation, Harry would go on to learn Unity3D and expand his role beyond Lead Artist to Lead Programmer as well.
Since its release in 2015, Alto’s Adventure has been played by tens of millions of players worldwide and received critical acclaim as a “piece of interactive art.” In particular, the game’s goal-free “Zen Mode” has resonated as a therapeutic tool, with players sharing stories of the way Alto has helped them cope with illness, loss, and mental stressors.
As we set about crafting the next adventure for Alto and friends, we were at different places in our lives: in the midst of big personal changes, and growing the team with members all over the world. When we set to work on Odyssey, it became clear that as a group, we identified strongly with feelings of exploration, and a desire to go outside our comfort zone.
This is something that even carried over to development, with many of us spending time working on the game in different countries, away from the places we all called home. These grew to become the feelings that underpin Odyssey: a sense of adventure, and of finding home in the company of those you care about, wherever that may be. Players were able to continue the adventure with Alto's Odyssey when it was released early 2018.
- Easy to learn, difficult to master. At the heart of the Alto series is an elegant one-touch trick system. Chain together combos, and complete 180 goals — all with intuitive controls.
- Explore Biomes. From the dunes, to the canyons, to the temple city, explore a rich and diverse landscape, with each area boasting unique visuals and gameplay.
- Newfound heights. Discover secrets in the sky with hot-air balloons, moving grind rails, and wall riding.
- Master the elements. In addition to dynamic lighting and weather effects like sandstorms and shooting stars, the desert is home to swirling wind vortexes and rushing water.
- Meet Alto and friends. Unlock six unique characters, each with their own attributes and abilities.
- Zen Mode. Complete with its own serene soundtrack, this relaxing mode distills Odyssey down to its purest elements: no scores, no coins, and no power-ups. Just you and the endless desert.
- Photo Mode. From the pause screen, get behind the lens and take stunning photos of your trip through the desert. Pinch, swipe, pan and zoom to frame the ideal shot, and share them with friends and family.
- Original music and handcrafted audio. Headphones recommended!
- Universal app with iCloud support. Play on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and your progress will always be in sync.
Images – Alto's Odyssey
Download all as a .zip (54MB).
Logo & Icon
- "Stunningly beautiful."
- Chaim Gartenberg, The Verge
- "A calm desert you'll want to get lost in over and over again."
- Federico Viticci, MacStories
- "The magic is back."
- Serenity Caldwell & Luke Filipowicz, iMore
- "Alto’s Odyssey might just be the best mobile game out there."
- Edoardo Maggio, Business Insider
- "Alto’s back with a brand new adventure on mobile"
- Jon Partridge, Red Bull Gaming
- "[Team Alto] is making all the right moves for its Alto’s Adventure sequel."
- Chad Sapieha, Post Arcade
Select Praise for Alto's Adventure
Alto’s Art Club
Collected Alto Series Fan Art and Creations.
Official Alto Merchandise
The Alto Merchandise Collection.
About Team Alto
Download the Team Alto logo as a .zip (1MB).
Alto's Odyssey Credits
Lead Artist & Programmer
Designer & Programmer
Musician & Sound Designer
Additional Music (Zen Mode)
Marketing & Production Support
Press and Inquiries